Viewing usernames with active directory search

Discuss security issues related to microsoft products

Moderator: Community Moderators

Fergie1

Viewing usernames with active directory search

Post by Fergie1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:58 pm

As I need to find a way to view usernames for network users, is there a way I can view them through the active directory search program?
Or any other way I can view usernames on a domain?

jd2kuk

Re: Viewing usernames with active directory search

Post by jd2kuk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Yup, address book.

Open address book, and click on find people. Select active directory as the search provider, and away you go ;)
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

Fergie1

Post by Fergie1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 pm

and that shows their usernames? not their actual names.

jd2kuk

Post by jd2kuk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Err, yeah- it does show their usernames actually :P
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

Fergie1

Post by Fergie1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm

I found a way within the ad search, right click on their name and click send mail. It showed me their username in the send to.
Thanks for teh help anyway. ;)

jd2kuk

Post by jd2kuk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:46 pm

When you're doing the search in address book, if you double click on a particular user, it'll bring up a properties page with the username on it ;)

Arcantium

Post by Arcantium » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 am

The way I get everyones usernames at my school is this:

1) Go to My Documents and create a shortcut to "%LOGONSERVER" (No quotation marks)

2) Open this, and I should end up in a directory called Rc-001, this is because my school is called Rutherford College, yours may be xxx-001 or something.

3) Check the directory called StudentProfiles. If it is empty go to step 4, if its not empty go to step 6)

4) Click UP twice (This should take you to the network) Locate the server you were just on, and try the next one up (In my case rc-002)

5) Keep checking every server until you find it.

6) These folders at my school are ordered by year level. Have fun looking at the accounts! :P My school even has adult students... Like Bob. :P

This was very helpful for me to figure out a dummy account (I generally look for people who arent at school anymore) Then you can change their default password to something and youre set :D

beartom

Post by beartom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Arcantium wrote:The way I get everyones usernames at my school is this:

1) Go to My Documents and create a shortcut to "%LOGONSERVER" (No quotation marks)

2) Open this, and I should end up in a directory called Rc-001, this is because my school is called Rutherford College, yours may be xxx-001 or something.

3) Check the directory called StudentProfiles. If it is empty go to step 4, if its not empty go to step 6)

4) Click UP twice (This should take you to the network) Locate the server you were just on, and try the next one up (In my case rc-002)

5) Keep checking every server until you find it.

6) These folders at my school are ordered by year level. Have fun looking at the accounts! :P My school even has adult students... Like Bob. :P

This was very helpful for me to figure out a dummy account (I generally look for people who arent at school anymore) Then you can change their default password to something and youre set :D
Or, if your school uses Microsoft Outlook, you could just click 'Address Book'. But maybe that's a too easy?

:D

jd2kuk

Post by jd2kuk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:58 am

Well, this is actually quite a nice find, as it makes it much easier to find your PDC (primary domain controller) server- you just create a shortcut to "%logonserver%" (without the quotes) ;)

Arcanium, can you confirm that this works?

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:01 pm

jd2kuk wrote:Well, this is actually quite a nice find, as it makes it much easier to find your PDC (primary domain controller) server- you just create a shortcut to "%logonserver%" (without the quotes) ;)

Arcanium, can you confirm that this works?
I'll try it on my cc3 server later and see