Windows Vs. Mac Bashing Contest

General Forum covering non-specific topics.

Moderator: Community Moderators

muto

Re: Windows Vs. Mac Bashing Contest

Post by muto » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 am

Cheesepuff :

Desktop with Windows - £200 inc - http://www.it247.com/product/1/HEWSUB41 ... 7_GHz.html [+]
Office - £23 inc - http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... dID=B66127 [-]

Total - £223

If you still demand Vista (despite your complaints about it), you can send XP back, get a refund, and pick up Vista Business for £20 http://www.ballicom.co.uk/software/oem- ... 90409.html [+]

So, I have that £50 on software, and £175 on a machine. Care to find a Mac that beats that?
:>

Heeby :

You can get paid Linux support (RedHat and SUSE are the main two), which helps make the attractive towards businesses. In terms of stability, Mac is well above Windows as a server platform, but still isn't as strong as Linux/BSD/Solaris. You really shouldn't be wasting resources running a GUI for a server (which Linux can do perfectly well, by the way, and has some nice management tools in the RedHat or Debian branches). However, for the machines I look after at work, all the Windows ones load to GUI because you don't have much choice, and all the Linux/BSD ones load to the command line, and most of the management is done through SSH, or a web interface for the pfsense box.

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 am

In my opinion, the people who claim Mac is rubbish and that Windows the better haven't had a proper experience on one.
I'm going to take heeby as an example (sorry :P )

He hated them, thought Windows beat Mac in every aspect until he went on a friends mac. A real one and not a store one which has been battered.
Suddenly, he's converted! :o

Also, the fact that people downgraded to XP and Microsoft offered this to people shows it was a complete disaster of an OS.

I don't see Apple giving out downgrades; do you? :P

Oh and I haven't got a clue about servers; but i think people use Linux more for that more. Since its less about User Interface =/

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 pm

thank you TJ .. for reminding me how foolish i was :lol:

you could argue that because of the lack of GUI the linux server is less resource hungury, but the windows gui, though its loaded into the computers memory isn't actually being used when no one is logged on (so therefore it isn't being processed)
Heeby's here! :)

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:29 pm

I've got a mac!!
Macbook Pro .. came on wednesday

so far, its great! can't fault it at all

muto

Post by muto » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:34 am

Also, if you look at most of the points they make in those commercials, and compare it to an updated version of Windows, it's complete bollocks. my XP install has never bluescrened, with the exception of the time I was playing around with some (beta) drivers to give me raw disk access. I've never got a virus on it. All the hardware I've ever bought for it has worked fine. Most of the points have some validity against Vista the day it was released, but by SP2, Vista is fairly stable.

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:45 pm

heebyjeebys wrote:I've got a mac!!

*Growls with Jealousy*

I want one :(
But at least Wales' got a Apple Store now. I'm going to try and apply for a job there :)

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:28 pm

TJ_2k7 wrote:
heebyjeebys wrote:I've got a mac!!

*Growls with Jealousy*

I want one :(
But at least Wales' got a Apple Store now. I'm going to try and apply for a job there :)
aye! have you been yet? my friend had and he says that the 'geniuses' are twats
.. and im loving my mac btw :)

phiber
Site Admin

Post by phiber » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 am

I'm somewhere in between. Using Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop, Android 2.2 on the desire, XP on my Toshiba, W7 enterprise carbonated on the Compaq. Toshiba and a rarely used HP have dual boot linux + xp distros.
---
'I've got more IP's in /etc/hosts than i have friends on Facebook'

Nikola Strahija, Xatrix Security
http://www.xatrix.org

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

HP Laptop running Windows 7 | Macbook | Android 2.2 on my HTC Incredible | Windows 7 on my main desktop (Gaming) | Linux / Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Secondary Desktop.

Anyone can find thousands of reasons 1 operating system is better than the other.
- Majik
Genius has it's limits, but insanity knows no bounds.

phiber
Site Admin

Post by phiber » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Majik wrote:HP Laptop running Windows 7 | Macbook | Android 2.2 on my HTC Incredible | Windows 7 on my main desktop (Gaming) | Linux / Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Secondary Desktop.

Anyone can find thousands of reasons 1 operating system is better than the other.

What are you running on W8k R2?
---
'I've got more IP's in /etc/hosts than i have friends on Facebook'

Nikola Strahija, Xatrix Security
http://www.xatrix.org