Credit for this tut goes to Ritey (PeToUSB) and this thread. Screenshots are included where I thought necessary to enhance clarity: red boxes indicate things you need concern yourself with.
Try and follow the steps as closely as possible- if you stray from the steps I've listed, something might not work as it should do, or you could break something!
There are a few things you are going to need before you start this tut (don't worry, I'll go over the steps for acquiring them):
- A USB Flash drive- a 1GB one will set you back around £10 nowadays. The drive has to be under 2GB, or it won't be detected
- PE2USB- this software is available from here, and is necessary to copy ERD Commander to the USB drive
- (of course ) ERD commander 2005- available from here.
- An ISO disassembly program. I use isobuster
- A RAR/ZIP archiving program. WinRAR is an obvious choice for this one.
- Knowledge of how to do basic stuff like creating folders, and using a web browser.
You also need to MAKE SURE THAT ANY IMPORTANT FILES ON YOUR USB DRIVE ARE BACKED-UP!! YOUR DRIVE WILL BE FORMATTED AS PART OF THIS PROCEDURE, AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOST FILES FROM YOUR USB DRIVE- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
1. Create a working folder somewhere in your computer. Here I've created one in my D drive and called it 'ERD'
2. Go to http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb and download the english version of pe2usb. Save the file into your working folder. Extract petousb.exe from the zip into your working folder.
3. Download the RAR continaing ISO image for ERD commander from here. Save it into your working folder. Extract the ISO into the working folder.
4. Create a folder in your working folder called 'files'. (You could call this anything, but files seems like a good name, and makes following the tutorial easier )
-. We're now going to extract the files from the ISO you downloaded. If you're going to use isobuster (recommended!), I'll explain the steps in detail. If you're using your own program, extract the files from the ISO into the 'files' folder that you just created. Then skip down to step 12
5. Go to http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php and download latest version of isobuster. Install it!
6. Start isobuster!
7. Go to file -> open image file, navigate to your working folder, and select the image file for ERD commander, and click open
8. Right click on the blue item containing three chevrons, and select 'extract -'
9. Browse through the file tree to your working folder, and click on the 'files' folder you created in step 4. Click ok
10. Wait for a bit...
11. Once it's all completed, exit isobuster.
12. Ensure your USB drive is plugged in (always helps, you know). In the working folder, open petousb.exe.
13. In the drop down menu, make sure that your USB drive is selected.
14. Tick the 'enable disk format' option. In the drive label text box, enter 'CD' (without the quotes). Also tick the 'enable file copy' option.
15. Click the 3 dots. Select the 'files' folder and click ok. If you used isobuster for this step, you may find that you have to select the '-' folder within the files folder.
16. Click start, then yes. Watch as your USB stick is prepared!
17. Exit PetoUsb.
YOU ARE DONE!! To test your newly created bootable USB drive, shut down your computer, turn it back on, and boot from USB (however you happen to do that on your computer). Wait a while, clicking OK on any error messages that appear; you should hit this screen. Select your windows install, and voila!