ERD Commander 2005 to USB

No, these are not photoshop tutorials!

Moderator: Tutorial Writers

ERD Commander 2005 to USB

Postby jd2kuk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:31 pm

It's DONE!

Credit for this tut goes to Ritey (PeToUSB) and this thread. Screenshots are included where I thought necessary to enhance clarity: red boxes indicate things you need concern yourself with. ;)
Try and follow the steps as closely as possible- if you stray from the steps I've listed, something might not work as it should do, or you could break something!

There are a few things you are going to need before you start this tut (don't worry, I'll go over the steps for acquiring them):

• A USB Flash drive- a 1GB one will set you back around £10 nowadays. The drive has to be under 2GB, or it won't be detected
  • PE2USB- this software is available from here, and is necessary to copy ERD Commander to the USB drive
  • (of course :P ) ERD commander 2005- available from here.
  • An ISO disassembly program. I use isobuster
  • A RAR/ZIP archiving program. WinRAR is an obvious choice for this one.
  • Knowledge of how to do basic stuff like creating folders, and using a web browser.

:!: You also need to MAKE SURE THAT ANY IMPORTANT FILES ON YOUR USB DRIVE ARE BACKED-UP!! YOUR DRIVE WILL BE FORMATTED AS PART OF THIS PROCEDURE, AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOST FILES FROM YOUR USB DRIVE- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

1. Create a working folder somewhere in your computer. Here I've created one in my D drive and called it 'ERD' Image

2. Go to http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb and download the english version of pe2usb. Save the file into your working folder. Extract petousb.exe from the zip into your working folder. ImageImageImage

3. Download the RAR continaing ISO image for ERD commander from here. Save it into your working folder. Extract the ISO into the working folder. ImageImage

4. Create a folder in your working folder called 'files'. (You could call this anything, but files seems like a good name, and makes following the tutorial easier ;) )Image

-. We're now going to extract the files from the ISO you downloaded. If you're going to use isobuster (recommended!), I'll explain the steps in detail. If you're using your own program, extract the files from the ISO into the 'files' folder that you just created. Then skip down to step 12 :P

5. Go to http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php and download latest version of isobuster. Install it!

6. Start isobuster!

7. Go to file -> open image file, navigate to your working folder, and select the image file for ERD commander, and click open ImageImage

8. Right click on the blue item containing three chevrons, and select 'extract -'

9. Browse through the file tree to your working folder, and click on the 'files' folder you created in step 4. Click ok

10. Wait for a bit... Image

11. Once it's all completed, exit isobuster.

12. Ensure your USB drive is plugged in (always helps, you know). In the working folder, open petousb.exe. ImageImage

13. In the drop down menu, make sure that your USB drive is selected.

14. Tick the 'enable disk format' option. In the drive label text box, enter 'CD' (without the quotes). Also tick the 'enable file copy' option.

15. Click the 3 dots. Select the 'files' folder and click ok. If you used isobuster for this step, you may find that you have to select the '-' folder within the files folder. Image

16. Click start, then yes. Watch as your USB stick is prepared! :D

17. Exit PetoUsb.

YOU ARE DONE!! To test your newly created bootable USB drive, shut down your computer, turn it back on, and boot from USB (however you happen to do that on your computer). Wait a while, clicking OK on any error messages that appear; you should hit this screen. Select your windows install, and voila! :D
jd2kuk

Re: ERD Commander 2005 to USB

Postby heebyjeebys » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:44 pm

neat :D I am going to get a 1 gig mem stick just for this :D
heebyjeebys

Postby TJ_2k7 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:56 pm

I can use ERD Commander in School now. :D

Also, does this tutorial work with other bootable iso's ...?

:mrgreen:
TJ_2k7

Postby jd2kuk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:06 pm

No, it just works with any winpe based environment- ERD commander, bartpe etc etc.

You'll find many things do boot of USB though- you just need to find out what environment it all runs under. :)
jd2kuk

Postby missi0n » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:56 pm

1gb mem, £7 in WHsmiths ;)
missi0n

Postby shocko » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey,
I followed the steps exactly yet when i boot from the USB stick i get the message 'Remove disks or other media. press any key to restart'.
ANy ideas?

thanks! :)
shocko

Postby jd2kuk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Weird!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head, is that your BIOS won't let you boot from USB for some reason- are you sure that your computer is set-up to boot from USB?

Also, try the process with a different memory stick and see if that works ;)
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.
jd2kuk

Postby heebyjeebys » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:20 pm

shocko wrote:Hey,
I followed the steps exactly yet when i boot from the USB stick i get the message 'Remove disks or other media. press any key to restart'.
ANy ideas?

thanks! :)

if its possible, use a CD drive to boot from, they allways seem to work better for me. Or I might suggest, use an external hard drive to boot too, :)
Heeby's here! :)
heebyjeebys

Postby PreliatorLV » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:53 pm

I had a slightly different approach. I used Alcohol 120% to mount the image and the used PE2USB to dump the files. I followed all the other instructions & it works like a charm. Now for the Portable apps! :lol:

Thank you for your insight!
PreliatorLV

Postby kaden361 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 am

hey will this also work for erd commander 2008? I'm downloading it right now and want to put on my usb drive
kaden361

Next

Return to Tutorials