PS3 Streaming to Windows 7

PC, Playstat1on, W11 and similar

Moderator: Community Moderators

Xcellerator

PS3 Streaming to Windows 7

Post by Xcellerator » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I guess this would go here!

OK, so I bought my PS3 on Boxing Day, and under Videos it showed my laptop so I opened it and it said not allowed. So I went into Media Streaming options on my laptop and allowed every device of the network (There were about 3 unknown devices on there!). Then I could access it but only the sample Landscapes video in the Public Videos folder, So I went into Windows Media Player and added the Movies folder on my external harddrive (which was plugged in) and the Video's folder in my account. I also changed the name to 'Xcellerator Mainframe' for fun! :lol: Then the PS3 couldn't access it! So I went back and changed the name to it's original name, and removed the external harddrive from the list of sharing options... When I open network on my laptop I can see my laptop and the media server, but when I search for media servers on the PS3 I can't find anything!
Here are the settings I have done:
and
RGB Hypnotoad compels you to OBEY!!!

heebyjeebys

Re: PS3 Streaming to Windows 7

Post by heebyjeebys » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Well I don't have a PS3 .. so I'm really not sure how I would go about doing this...

http://www.igoy.in/connect-ps3-to-windo ... gh-wmp-12/

Also, I would turn off windows firewall (start > type services.msc > find windows firewall service > stop and disable it)
You don't actually need it because your router is a firewall. There is little point of having two firewalls. (Unless you were to be attacked internally - which on a small home network extremely unlikely!)

You might want to temporarily remove your password because this can create issues when trying to access a share on a windows based computer that is on a workgroup, namely access denied errors.

Good luck!

Also, nice blue lines on the computer names ... why? Its not exactly Area 51 UFO information :P
Heeby's here! :)

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Good 'ol Paint ;)
I've found Windows 7 more of a fuss when it comes to sharing.
There is normal networking and Homegroup, which one should I use?!

I use normal bog-standard Networking since not all my PC's have Windows 7 plus when I enable it (wmiprvse.exe) my CPU goes up to 90-100%

I also have a PS3 but I aint bothered setting any shared up since I use it for Gaming and Film watching and nothing else.

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 pm

TJ_2k7 wrote:Good 'ol Paint ;)
I've found Windows 7 more of a fuss when it comes to sharing.
There is normal networking and Homegroup, which one should I use?!

I use normal bog-standard Networking since not all my PC's have Windows 7 plus when I enable it (wmiprvse.exe) my CPU goes up to 90-100%

I also have a PS3 but I aint bothered setting any shared up since I use it for Gaming and Film watching and nothing else.
I really hate these networking thingies that are just worthless useless nonsense!

Xcellerator

Post by Xcellerator » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:22 am

Well, Homegroup just makes networking easier (so they say!), so if U can't be asked to set-up homegroup (my pc and laptop wouldn't recognise each other!) just user normal network file sharing like you would on XP or Vista...

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Xcellerator wrote:Well, Homegroup just makes networking easier (so they say!), so if U can't be asked to set-up homegroup (my pc and laptop wouldn't recognise each other!) just user normal network file sharing like you would on XP or Vista...
ok .... but putting the computers on the same workgroup would have the same effect. computers can see each other and all is well

Xcellerator

Post by Xcellerator » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

yeah, but with homegroup anything in your Libraries on Win7 is automatically shared, good for casual home networks..

muto

Post by muto » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm

That sounds like a lovely privacy and security issue to me...

ICT Tech
Community Master Admin

Post by ICT Tech » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:10 pm

:lol: Yep!! :P
ICT Tech
Senior Community Admin