How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings

This forum is for discussing the Microsoft Windows OS, and related topics.

Moderator: Community Moderators

anissa_s

How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings

Post by anissa_s » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:54 am

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?

phiber
Site Admin

Post by phiber » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 pm

Easiest/quickest and the best way is to use free sofware made especially for this purpose. Make sure you select your backup folder after running the program. Click "complete backup". Reinstall windows, install this software again and use the restore option. You can download it here.

Of course...
The geek way is to backup the contents of your OE (Outlook Express) store folder. This option will not backup your account settings while the first one will.

To find it, start OE, go to Tools > Options. Select the "Maintenance" tab and click "Store Folder". This is the path to your store folder. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\YOUR-IDENTITY-KEY\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Go to that folder, copy all the contents to a backup. After you've reinstalled your xp, open OE and press cancel when asked to create an account. Close OE. Now, if you've formatted your drive find the newly created store folder at the same location, except your username and identity key will be changed. Copy the contents of your OE store folder backup to the newly created store folder. Replace the existing files when asked.

If you haven't formatted your drive during setup make sure you are browsing the correct store folder since previous application data will be in "Documents and Settings".

Code: Select all

D:\Documents and Settings\YOUR----NEW---USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\YOUR-IDENTITY-KEY\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Hope I helped

anissa_s

Post by anissa_s » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 am

Thank you for help, but I did some searches on the net and found a program that does what I want:
http://www.bodrag.com/outlook-express-backup.html

phiber
Site Admin

Post by phiber » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:37 am

Didn't you notice a link in the start of my reply? :-)

zlatan24

Re: How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings

Post by zlatan24 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 pm

anissa_s wrote:I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?
For working out problems connected with problem dbx files you may use open dbx files. It doesn't modify source data during restoration, uses modern ways of repairing dbx files, works under all available Windows OS.