Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

This forum is for discussing the Microsoft Windows OS, and related topics.

Moderator: Community Moderators

jd2kuk
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 am
Location: UK

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by jd2kuk » Fri May 08, 2009 1:27 am

muto wrote: I'm moving more and more into Linux.
Unlike the majority of people who post on the forum (I'd guess), I really can't get into Linux. I'm more in the Linux haters' camp, to be honest.

In fairness, it's great OS for security auditing, as there are so many tools written for it- Backtrack will always be something I keep in my toolkit, as it's an excellent collection of stuff.

But the interface, the command line shells, the ridiculous file system layout, applications with different and obscure command sequences, silly names for tools at the terminal, no proper help command, and Ubuntu's version naming (What's the latest version called, dyslexic donkey?) all really get on my nerves.

I'd really like to like Linux, as it's great in principle, and it's nice to see the efforts that go into its development. But until it works practically for me, then Windows 7 is on my laptop to stay. ;)

*end inarticulate rant*

P.S. There's a great book out there (which is free to download) called The Unix Haters' Handbook- I'd urge anyone to read it; it sums up my frustrations in a succinct and humorous way.
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

muto
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by muto » Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 am

Have you actually tried using the latest Ubuntu release (9.04)? You very rarely have to use anything in the terminal, or even most of the filesystem, because it's all hidden behind the GUI, much as it is in OSX, which has a very similar set of commands and filesystem layout, it's just that most people never see it.

You say Ubuntu's naming is bad, but look at the consistecy in Windows....3.1, NT, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7. Much clearer. There's more to Linux than ubuntu, if you don't like it, try Mint or Fedora.

I've had read the Unix Hater's handbook, and while it was true 20 years ago, very little in there actaully applies to modern Linux, and the stuff that does is all low-level, that will mostly be encountered by the developers. That book is also equally valid against OSX, which is build on BSD.

User avatar
heebyjeebys
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by heebyjeebys » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:12 am

i've given up on microsoft and moving to mac ... however, knowing how to fix a windows machine is good money!
as for linux... what can i say.. I completley agree with JD on the strange commands, mind boggling version names and file system. But I guess that is true of any platform to someone whos unfamilliar with it. The reason i would never ever go to linux is that theres no photoshop, some would argue that gimp has the same functionality of photoshop, but i beg to differ. Nothing beats photoshop.
and this keyboard is giving me sore fingers its so uncomfortable
mac ftw!
Heeby's here! :)

User avatar
heebyjeebys
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by heebyjeebys » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm

raj_animator967452 wrote:Very nice OS.
have you seen that video on youtube that Microsoft themselves posted about windows 7 activation and how easy and fun it is to do??
'with product activation, you'll get the full benefit of running windows, including the endless and seemingly pointless security updates that never-ever-seem to stop that we just dish out to make you feel better when actually their doing nothing but automatically telling us how much porn you watch, and if that wasn't good enough, it will nag you like an over enthusiastic nephew that never ever stops with the questions, and if you don't activate they will just keep on coming until we lock your computer down so that it is so completely crippled that turning it on just creates problems of their own entity. And all this for optional updates that enhance your operating systems automatic blue screen of death rates and added hardware support that allows all of your devices that you currently use to not work at all in any way so that you have to a Microsoft support technician parter whatever for £20,000 a minute not including the phone bill, which you don't want to know to have him on the phone for 8 and a half hours for him to go "urgh i don't" know and hang up on you! all to get your computer to turn on the first place!'

No user should ever have to touch such a silly activation process that nags you every 10 seconds like a bull fucking terrier!
Macs on the other hand ...
#rant over
Heeby's here! :)

User avatar
ICT Tech
Community Master Admin
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: In my chair!

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by ICT Tech » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 pm

heebyjeebys wrote:have you seen that video on youtube that Microsoft themselves posted about windows 7 activation and how easy and fun it is to do??
'with product activation, you'll get the full benefit of running windows, including the endless and seemingly pointless security updates that never-ever-seem to stop that we just dish out to make you feel better when actually their doing nothing but automatically telling us how much porn you watch, and if that wasn't good enough, it will nag you like an over enthusiastic nephew that never ever stops with the questions, and if you don't activate they will just keep on coming until we lock your computer down so that it is so completely crippled that turning it on just creates problems of their own entity. And all this for optional updates that enhance your operating systems automatic blue screen of death rates and added hardware support that allows all of your devices that you currently use to not work at all in any way so that you have to a Microsoft support technician parter whatever for £20,000 a minute not including the phone bill, which you don't want to know to have him on the phone for 8 and a half hours for him to go "urgh i don't" know and hang up on you! all to get your computer to turn on the first place!'

No user should ever have to touch such a silly activation process that nags you every 10 seconds like a bull fucking terrier!
Macs on the other hand ...
#rant over
Go see a doctor heeby :lol: Only joking, but you have a good point there :P
ICT Tech
Senior Community Admin

User avatar
heebyjeebys
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by heebyjeebys » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Ict Tech wrote:
Go see a doctor heeby :lol: Only joking, but you have a good point there :P
hahahah lol :lol:
Heeby's here! :)

User avatar
ICT Tech
Community Master Admin
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: In my chair!

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by ICT Tech » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:06 pm

heebyjeebys wrote:
Ict Tech wrote:
Go see a doctor heeby :lol: Only joking, but you have a good point there :P
hahahah lol :lol:
Has anyone actually got Windows 7, I am getting it to trial for work in a few days :? I don't know what to think! :P
ICT Tech
Senior Community Admin

jd2kuk
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 am
Location: UK

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by jd2kuk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Yep, my primary OS- it rocks. I'm just not happy that they took libraries off the start menu...
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

User avatar
ICT Tech
Community Master Admin
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: In my chair!

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by ICT Tech » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:47 am

jd2kuk wrote:Yep, my primary OS- it rocks. I'm just not happy that they took libraries off the start menu...
So you think it's good!
Any changes from Vista?
ICT Tech
Senior Community Admin

jd2kuk
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 am
Location: UK

Re: Thoughts on Windows 7 ...?

Post by jd2kuk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:09 pm

It's awesome!

Changes from vista (in a nutshell):
  • Vastly improved performance in all sorts of areas (start-up/shutdown, application loads etc.)
  • New taskbar/start menu- really efficient if you embrace it
  • Jump menus (part of the change noted above)
  • Libraries- lets you organise folders from all over your hard disk into consolidated folders (sounds random, but very handy)
  • Aero peek- really slick previews of open windows
  • Improved wireless/power options
  • UAC less irritating
  • Support for various new hardware technologies
  • New devices and printers section, with 'device experiences' (fancy name for pictures of your devices, but hey- it's cool)
  • IE 8 (not a change I care about particularly...)
  • Less crap bundled with windows
  • Aero snap- windows automatically resize when you point them at the edges of the screen = slick.
  • New keyboard shortcuts and improved multi-display support
  • Too much more to list here. Just search for 'windows 7 new features', and you'll see plenty more
:) !
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

Post Reply