Which anti-virus product do you use?

This forum is for discussing the Microsoft Windows OS, and related topics.

Moderator: Community Moderators

TJ_2k7

Which anti-virus product do you use?

Postby TJ_2k7 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Before anyone says, i was gonna make this topic in the security forum but hardly anybody reads that forum i made it here instead since it is kinda to do with Windows :P

So, what anti-virus product/suite do you use..?
What you think of it?
Was it free/ how much it cost...?

I use Norton 360 and i can offically say it does my head in. So why have i brought it two years in a row i here you say? Well, it does the job great. Ive never had a virus issue EVER. The norton prouct family has never let me down. I bought it for £30 from PC World when i bought mah laptop. The only issue is it slighty delays logging in, and when its scanning boy does it hog CPU Usage. Also its got an annoying bug. It always starts duing a background scan which its only supposed to do when the PC is idle and wont stop unless i start another scan and pause that one. :roll:
Maybe, just maybe, they might give me a discount soon as i have used their products for like 5 years now...

:D

muto

Re: Which anti-virus product do you use?

Postby muto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

None, Linux doesn't need them, and if you're careful on Windows with a good firewall, you should be fine.

Avoid Norton like the plauge. The only two AVs I've ever had good expereiences are Kaspersky, and NOD32. Both have good detection rates, run fast, and give you control. NOD32 is a bit faster, and has a more friendly GUI, while Kaspersky is more complex, but lets you do more with it. I'd recommend either of them to a technical user, such as yourself.

For on-demand scanning only, MalwareByte's anti-malware is excellent, it has very good detection rates, but crucially, it has very high removal rates, unlike many products that tell you there's an infection, but can't do anything about it.

muto

Postby muto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I've never really been a fan of Avast, I've not found that is has very good detection rates, or a nice interface, but it's been a while, so I might have to try it again. AVG used to be quite nice up to about 7.5, but it's gone downhill a lot since version 8, so I wouldn't recommend it anymore. Still, it's free...

cheesepuff

Postby cheesepuff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm

None. Honestley. I do sometimes run trend micro online scanner
Cheesepuff: geeky and proud.
Rocking a Mac Mini: Want a MacBook Pro (2.66/4gb/Matte High-Res)!

muto

Postby muto » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:32 pm

NOD32 and Bitdefender both have good online scanners, I hadn't heard of Trend's. What're the detection/speed rates like?

cheesepuff

Postby cheesepuff » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 pm

muto wrote:NOD32 and Bitdefender both have good online scanners, I hadn't heard of Trend's. What're the detection/speed rates like?

from what I've used... slow.. it doesn't work tbh, I cba trying. Avoid it.
Cheesepuff: geeky and proud.
Rocking a Mac Mini: Want a MacBook Pro (2.66/4gb/Matte High-Res)!

muto

Postby muto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 am

You should work in advertising :P

TJ_2k7

Postby TJ_2k7 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm

wow, im suprised some people dont use anti-virus :shock:

muto

Postby muto » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:56 pm

AV is just way to much of a performance hit. Without it your machine is so much faster. Spend any amount of time on hacking websites and you see how many binders/crypters there are out the that are FUD. If you keep everything patched, and are very careful where you go, you should be fine without. I also like to run a firewall so I can see if anything tries to call home, and test stuff I don't like in a VM.

Or, as I said, use Linux :)

jd2kuk

Postby jd2kuk » Sat May 09, 2009 12:37 am

I'm using ClamWin right now (based on ClamAV for Unix)- no on-access scanning, so it's nice and fast, and doesn't grind my computer to a halt.

Avira was pretty good when I used it, too.
Some people are like Slinkies: completely useless but fun to watch when you push them down stairs.

Return to “Windows Forum”