Windows Taskbar Freezes

This forum is for discussing the Microsoft Windows OS, and related topics.

Moderator: Community Moderators

helpmeplz

Windows Taskbar Freezes

Post by helpmeplz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Hello everyone, I have a quick question and I heard you guys were good.

Recently, whenever I exit a full screen game (whether it be HL2, Portal, Insurgency, Starcraft, etc.) my taskbar freezes. It doesnt matter how I shut it down (either through the program's exit command, alt tabbing, ctrl+alt+delete) after I leave the game, the taskbar is always frozen. I cant click on the start button, or the minimized programs, or the icons in the bottom right hand corner. Also, if I was to hover over any of the stuff on the taskbar, it wouldnt give any popups (like it would if you put it over the time and it would give you the time and date)

However, the icons on my desktop work perfectly fine. And after about a minute, the taskbar becomes unfrozen.

Help?

cheesepuff

Re: Windows Taskbar Freezes

Post by cheesepuff » Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 pm

helpmeplz wrote:Hello everyone, I have a quick question and I heard you guys were good.

Recently, whenever I exit a full screen game (whether it be HL2, Portal, Insurgency, Starcraft, etc.) my taskbar freezes. It doesnt matter how I shut it down (either through the program's exit command, alt tabbing, ctrl+alt+delete) after I leave the game, the taskbar is always frozen. I cant click on the start button, or the minimized programs, or the icons in the bottom right hand corner. Also, if I was to hover over any of the stuff on the taskbar, it wouldnt give any popups (like it would if you put it over the time and it would give you the time and date)

However, the icons on my desktop work perfectly fine. And after about a minute, the taskbar becomes unfrozen.

Help?

I get a similar sort of thing, after playing source games, but it's system wide. My feeling is that as the game shuts down, it takes a min to stablise and get back to doing less, as the game is prolly quite proc intensive.
I doubt there's a fix.
Cheesepuff: geeky and proud.
Rocking a Mac Mini: Want a MacBook Pro (2.66/4gb/Matte High-Res)!

ICT Tech
Community Master Admin

Re: Windows Taskbar Freezes

Post by ICT Tech » Sun May 17, 2009 2:36 pm

This is just because you have so many services running in your CPU.

Open up the Task Manager and end "explorer" then run a new task "explorer"

This should do the trick! :P
ICT Tech
Senior Community Admin