Wireless Security Rundown

General security related topics not covered in other forums of this area.

Moderator: Community Moderators

muto

Re: Wireless Security Rundown

Post by muto » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:54 am

WEP and WPA are both horribly broken, you can crack them in a minute. WPA with AES is still unbroken, but requires a higher end router.

MAC address filtering will only keep out someone casually trying to connect - as soon as one of your client machines sends any data, they can sniff a valid MAC, and use that. In a very busy area this is harder.

WPA2 with a very strong key and MAC filtering is about the best you've got, but personally, I'd make sure that none of my security relies on my wireless staying secure - put it on a seperate VLAN.

Xcellerator

Post by Xcellerator » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 pm

If you want complete security, just have absolutely now wireless connections, only LAN connections to a PC... But if you want to use a laptop wirelessly (to access xatrix) then yes, WPA2 with Mac Filtering would be the best bet...
RGB Hypnotoad compels you to OBEY!!!

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I did use WPA but after i found out about cracking it under minute and posting about it I changed to WPA2 right away.
Plus; I've always used Mac Filtering so I'd always considered my wireless to be pretty secure.

There's alot of Wireless networks in my area that use WEP (Still :roll: ) so if anyone is gonna try and crack one they sure ain't gonna go for mine. Not that i think anyone in my area would do that =/

Xcellerator

Post by Xcellerator » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Some guy brought a tiny little netbook into my school, and at lunch he went upstairs to an empty classroom, and cracked the wireless (WPA-PSK) there wasn't much point the password was:

Code: Select all

***admin
*** being the schools initials i.e:

Code: Select all

***-sr-001
. LOL! It was that easy, now we bring psps in and browser teh internet at school!

TJ_2k7

Post by TJ_2k7 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:33 pm

I don't see the point of using the school internet unless you use a proxy or vpn as you get restricted =/

Xcellerator

Post by Xcellerator » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:36 pm

the point is that using the 'file:/' command you can access the servers and AD isn't supported on psp so no restrictions...
and if I want internet I'll just use my proxy... ;)

phiber
Site Admin

Post by phiber » Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 pm

I've been playing around with 100 gigs of rainbow tables against WPA TKIP.
The target AP is so "quiet" that within 72 hrs I was only able to get 1 handshake. Wasn't around to death him at that time :(

Will post more info soon.
---
'I've got more IP's in /etc/hosts than i have friends on Facebook'

Nikola Strahija, Xatrix Security
http://www.xatrix.org