MESSED up computer

Just getting into security? Ask your questions here.

Moderator: Community Moderators

quinny

MESSED up computer

Post by quinny » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm

hi
i have a computer and it is broke and my brother tell's me not to touch it because he thinks there is something wrong with it and it cant bring it back the shop because the 5 year warranty as gone ,SO do you think i should just buy all new components ?..
and start fresh

jd2kuk

Re: MESSED up computer

Post by jd2kuk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:45 pm

When you say it's broke lol, what's wrong with it?

quinny

Post by quinny » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:36 pm

im not 100% sure i think its something to do with the motherboard

jd2kuk

Post by jd2kuk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm

No, I mean what are the symptoms of the problem? Like what happens when you turn the computer on?

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 pm

quinny wrote:hi
i have a computer and it is broke and my brother tell's me not to touch it because he thinks there is something wrong with it and it cant bring it back the shop because the 5 year warranty as gone ,SO do you think i should just buy all new components ?..
and start fresh
broke..... i can't help you if you don't tell me what the hells wrong with it.
i'm betting windows is f*cked up
Heeby's here! :)

muto

Post by muto » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:30 am

If it's over 5 years old, unless it was a real beast of a machine when you bought it (say, multiple processors, fast SCSI drives, that sort of thing), then it's time to get yourself a new one. A replacement motherboard would probably cost a good chunk of what a new machine would, and then something else would fail in a few months. Get a new one.

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:34 am

motherboards aint that expensive!
Their like £30-£40 for a cheapie, but as its an old system then their dirt cheap off ebay!

muto

Post by muto » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:04 am

Depends on the computer. Some of the old Dell boards can be about £130 online, and because of Dell's lovely cases design, are often the only ones that fit in (why the **** do you they put the processor at a 45 degree angle to normal?). Considering you can get a low-end desktop for about £220, which will be massivly faster, and shouldn't have anything fail for a couple of years, that's the best option. The trap many people fall into is making multiple cheapish replacements/fixes to an old PC, and end up spending more than a new one would have cost them, and getting for less from it. Cut your losses early, and go for a new one.

Code: Select all

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=pc&c=home&r=ICO
Dual core at 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD - £220 inc VAT.

heebyjeebys

Post by heebyjeebys » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:35 pm

muto wrote:Depends on the computer. Some of the old Dell boards can be about £130 online, and because of Dell's lovely cases design, are often the only ones that fit in (why the **** do you they put the processor at a 45 degree angle to normal?).
Dell is shit (dell hell) you will never ever get any joy out of a dell its best to get other brands or make your own computer. Its also dells way of charging people more for their crap.
2 Dell facts you may not be aware of:

1. Dells tend to fail a week or so out or warrenty, this sound strange to you? It sure does to me
2. Apparently (my sources are reliable) Dell used to get intel processors for FREE (or near enough free) which is what made them so cheap, but the deal between Dell and intel broke down, possibly because they started using AMD processors as well. This sounds especially strange as well.

What do you think?

sanrenzu123

Post by sanrenzu123 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

The trap many people fall into is making multiple cheapish replacements/fixes to an old PC, and end up spending more than a new one would have cost them, and getting for less from it. Cut your losses early, and go for a new one.